Your sofa seats your guests when you do some entertaining in the home. Your sofa will seat your family as they gather in front of the TV set or the gaming console. Even if you have set yourself into thinking that your sofa is only a normal piece that you would keep for only a few years, you will certainly end up having it for around ten or more years before you even know it.
Since there is no such thing as a transitional sofa, you might as well furnish with the best sofa that your money can buy when you are in the market for one. However, how should you go about buying a sofa? Here are some pointers:
1. Select a sofa that complements the design of the room where it will l be placed. Prior to going shopping for your brand new sofa, you need to have a good look at the area where you’d be putting it and think about the style of the room. Among the guidelines in interior designs is that the colors in the area must complement one another and create a standard look that’s cohesive and harmonious. So, whatever sofa you buy, it should help create that look of cohesiveness and harmony in the area.
2. Get yourself a sofa that’s proportionate to how big is the available room. The scale of the area is another important factor that you need to consider when you are buying a sofa. The size of your new sofa should be proportionate to the room you would be putting it in. Big sofas will crowd a small room, while small sofas will be drowned out in a big room.
Also consider the use that it would have in the room. If it is just for seating people, then there would be no problem for you to get a sofa that is a bit narrow between the arms. However, you may want to get a bit more space between the arms if you intend to lie on that sofa every once in a while.
3. Go for an armless sofa. If the room wherein you would be putting your sofa is a little too small and you need to make this room appear bigger than it really is, the perfect solution is to get an armless sofa. The armless sofa can create the illusion of added width in a room
4. Check out the cushioning of the sofa and determine how many it can seat. One basic truth about sofas is that no one wants to sit on the crack between two cushions simply because it is not a comfortable spot to rest one’s bum on. If you want your sofa to seat as many people as it can in reasonable comfort, you can choose a sofa with a single cushion.
Speaking of comfort, you would want your sofa to have a depth that is just perfect for you. A sofa with a good depth would have ample space between its edge and the back of your knees when you sit on it.
5. Keep in mind who would be using your sofa when considering fabric and patterns. Your sofa would need to be ready to withstand whatever use and abuse it will get from its expected users. So, when you are shopping for your sofa, consider who will be using it.
A sofa done in just one solid color is always nice to look at. However, stains and dirt become readily apparent on them. On the other hand, a sofa with patterned upholstery will work well in hiding stains and dirt. For those who have kids in the home or if you live with pets indoors, a patterned sofa would fit you more.
Likewise, for those who have pets or kids in the home, the fabric of one’s sofa ought to be something that is simpler to clean rather than too delicate. Otherwise, it will be an excessive amount of a chore to get stains and dirt cleaned up. Also, if the fabric is too delicate, you may run a bill on reupholstering your sofa. If you prefer a low-maintenance sofa, go and get something done in leather.
Your sofa can be an important furniture piece that will stick with you for a long time. When you are out to get a sofa in a room in your own home, make an effort to have a careful decision on which sort of sofa you are looking for. Otherwise, you will need to live with the merchandise of one’s mistake for a long time.